- Maeklong Railway Market is about a 30 mins drive out of Bangkok, but so worth the trip. Can’t remember which movie I saw it in, but I didn’t think back then it was real. But it is! I also knew that you shouldn’t stay very close to the train so when I saw it approaching slowly in the distance I wasn’t too worried until I had to back up when the train got closer to us and there was nowhere to back up too! Both Lisa and I got really scared and started nervously sweating, but survived ? I unfortunately don’t have a photo – turned out we were standing too close to capture it, but this is a shot I found online from Tie Land to Thailand.
- The Floating Market is another 45 mins from the railway market. It was hands down among my favorite experiences I had in Thailand. Delicious, cheap food sold on boats and from boats felt like a very authentic Thai culture experience. Lisa and I ended up renting a boat for ourselves and took a floating tour around the market. One thing we both sucked at was remembering to keep our hands inside the boat at all times and never to hand on to the edges of the boat (which is what we constantly kept doing to lean out to look around/keep balance). Our toothless skipper probably got very tired from screaming ‘hands inside’ all the time.
3. The ‘Hangover’ Bar I asked my ‘stories’ tribe where I could find the best skyline bar in Bangkok and the answer was unanimous – The Sky Bar at Lebua Hotel (the exact same spot where they shot the Hangover II). We first went next door to Sirocco as it opened earlier than the Sky Bar and thats where we had $20 mocktails and watched the most incredible pre sunset. Right around sunset, we moved to the Sky bar which definitely THE best rooftop bar I have seen in my life. It’s very spectacular in person. We ordered the Hangovertini drink to share (which was green) for another $20 but it was so strong we couldn’t finish it ? Once it got dark, we headed to meet up with Tippy at who promised there will be some yummy green curry waiting to us. Best $2 ever spent ?
4. The following night we went to check out another rooftop bar Vertigo at Banyan Tree Bangkok. It wasn’t as impressive as the Sky Bar and definitely not as elegant but it was still definitely worth a visit.
4. The unicorn cafe!!!! It’s so cute! Look at these smoothies are waffles!
5. Dinner at St Regis. I already mentioned about the breakfast at St Regis, but we also got to experience dinner there too. The dinner was a la carte with a buffet option which of course meant we ate way too much. My favorite was the Spicy lemongrass soup served in a fresh coconut which brought up a lot of flavors!
6. We only stopped at Flower Market Pak Klong Talac for an hour and it super cool to see so many flowers in our place. However, the train market and the floating definitely rank higher on my list. Below a photo from a flower museum.
On our final day, we went to the Gala dinner hosted by the Tourism Board of Thailand. It was hosted in this traditional Thai house and we were joined by Miss Universes from all around the world including Miss Australia, Miss Vietnam and Miss Thailand of course! I also got to run into my followers / other travel bloggers from other countries like Mynmar. It was a beautiful evening! Below a photo of the North America crew 😉
Have you been to Bangkok? What else would you add to the list?